S-5! Webinar - Why is Metal Roofing the Perfect Solar Platform?
A metal roof may be a slightly higher initial investment compared to other roof types, but this premium cost is easily recovered over the life of the roof. This is especially true when mounting PV. Due to the high service life of a metal roof, the roof will far outlast the life of the PV system and mounting costs for metal are significantly lower. These considerations are often overlooked with other roof types.
Even when new, the best shingle or TPO style roof will not outlast the PV system. But, it is common practice for systems to be retrofitted on older roofs, which exacerbates the problem. Once the roof has reached the end of its service life, the PV system will have to be decommissioned and dismantled, then reinstalled once the re-roof is completed. This poses an enormous unforeseen cost to the building owner.
In this session, designers, contractors, and building owners will learn how to look at the roof and PV system as a single asset with supporting ROIs, which make the selection of a metal roof obvious by the numbers, even from an initial cost standpoint.
1. Why metal roofing is the perfect platform for PV
2. The service life of standing seam metal roofs and details surrounding this
3. Shortcomings of other roof types relating to PV mounting
4. Service life compatibility with PV of metal roofs and other types
5. A PV mounting cost comparison of membrane roofs vs. standing seam
6. Initial costs of a solar roof using metal and membrane
7. Lifetime costs of a metal roof with PV and a membrane roof with PV