This course focuses on architectural insulated metal wall panels. We review the characteristics that best describe architectural IMPs including the myriad design options available. Topics such as finishes and coatings, trimless ends, folded corners, variable reveals, segmented curves, running bond patterns, sunscreens and integrated windows are reviewed. Structural support considerations including stud walls and tube steel are studied, as well as the importance of maintaining proper wall alignment. The installation process is also reviewed using an animated video to provide step-by step guidance. Air, water, vapor, and thermal control layers are studied along with code compliance. Product and installation warranties are highlighted before wrapping up with a look at IMP sustainability and transparency.
Attendees can earn 1 AIA/HSW Learning Unit. Certificates of completion will be available.
- Understand the characteristics that best describe architectural insulated metal panels (IMPs)
- Understand the design options for architectural IMPs
- Visualize the installation process of IMPs
- Recognize the factors affecting panels spans, and the relationship of these factors to structural supports
- Understand how IMPs provide all necessary air, water, vapor, and thermal control layers through a single component
- Knowledge of IMP code compliance
- Be able to differentiate between the various paint, corrosion, panel, and weathertight warranties available with IMPs